The magic ingredient is still the eggs!

Last night was our pastry lesson at the chef school. My dad couldn't make it so I had the pleasure of bringing my wife along. Now she knows why I can’t shut up when I come home on a Thursday evening after cooking school!


Me and Karlien

We worked with short crust pastry, puff pastry and choux pastry. The short crust pastry and the choux pastry we made ourselves but the puff pastry we used was the rolls you buy in the store.

Short crust pastry is apparently feminine…you have to be very gentle with the dough and it doesn't respond well to too much kneading or too much force. Bread dough is the opposite…call it the masculine dough. It responds best to a kneading fist fight!

Squeezing out the éclairs


Quiches: Gently, very gently...

I must say choux pastry (used in éclairs and cream puffs) is really tasteless and boring hence all the chocolate and cream that usually goes in an éclair…
I think the best use of choux pastry is to make play dough for kids! Yes with a bit of food colouring that’s what play dough is made of!


Here are some pics of our creations and concoctions!

Cheese & onion sticks, tomato & mozzarella snacks & vol-au-vent pockets



Quiches with all sorts of fillings, creamy seafood vol-au-vents


When it comes to snacks...a bag of chips and a few pretzels just won't do anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment