Sunday Family Lunch

I told you about the preparation of my leg of Springbok last week. I must admit that I later realised that I misunderstood/misread the recipe. I was actually supposed to stuff the meat with pork fat and not to wrap it in bacon... Some old Afrikaans words that got me confused...

The fat was obviously to keep the meat juicy while cooking. because venison is very lean meat it can become quite tough and dry.
I decided to continue without the extra pork fat anyway. I cooked the leg for about 3h30 on 160 degrees in the red wine marinade in a closed casserole - hoping that this would help to prevent the meat from drying out.



The end result was great! The meat wasn't tough and the long preparation process ensured that it didn't have that "wild" taste anymore.

Me and cousin/host Somien

Butternut spillage...
 The family lunch was lots of fun, as it usually is, and the food was amazing!




As is usually the case when you are only preparing 1 dish you tend to add just that extra bit of cream...or sugar...or sauce. But since each couple was responsible for only 1 dish the result is that all the food is made with just a little extra something! I found it impossible not to overindulge! Any hope of keeping to moderate portions flew out the door with that death-by-chocolate pudding...

Curry butternut soup


Sticky chicken

Warthog roast

Leg of Springbok

Creamy baked potatoes

Mixed salad

Sweet potato tart

Green beans with bacon


It's a real blessing to get along with one's family so well. And that they get along with one another so well!
To all the cousins (and the extended family...) - we love you guys! We should start planning the next get-together!

No comments:

Post a Comment