Eggs are magic!

I saw this slogan on a Bartlet eggs truck the other day. Not the most exciting slogan but after last night I realised how true this is!


A bit of background...last year I decided to enroll for a part-time course at a chef school in Pretoria (Steyn's Cullinary school). I convinced my dad to join me and since the first lesson in January we've been cooking up a storm every Thursday evening! It's been lots of fun and so much better than studying linear regression models!


So last night's lesson was all about eggs!


I've never beaten so many egg whites, egg yolks and cream in my life! I'll definitely opt for an electric beater at home.





We started with cheese soufflés which were delicious!

This is before they go into the oven - they look much more appetizing when they come out!

Something I didn't know was that you can rescue a soufflé that has collapsed by just popping it back in the oven for a few minutes. It is called a double-baked soufflé. So next time you order a double-baked soufflé at a restaurant don't be fooled into thinking it is a special kind of soufflé...it is actually just a soufflé made earlier that day that has been rescued so that it looks presentable on your plate!

Then we moved on to the desserts...

We made chocolate bavarois and coffee flavored chocolate mousse


According to the chef, this is NOT the way to plate round shaped dishes because it looks like boobs...according to the chef.


To compliment all these cocoa dishes dad brought along a bottle of HPF Kleinboet. We (me and Kleinboet) are now best friends again! What a wonderful bottle of wine. It has all the elements of a gorgeous wine - the nose, the flavours and even the lable!





Looking forward to next week's lesson on pastries!

Email me if you want some of the recipes.

Have a great weekend!

Chris

1 comment:

  1. I was the lucky one to taste the bavarois, and my compliments to the chefs and Kleinboet. Lekker lekker lekker!

    Janie Steyn

    ReplyDelete